Fishing Reels Made in USA | An Ultimate Buying Guide
I am an avid fisherman. I remember the first time I went with my father for fishing and caught my first fish, a snapper blue. At that time, my fishing gear was basic and included a fishing pole with a reel. But with the passage of time, advanced fishing gears such as reels were introduced. Now you have to get a fishing reel that matches your rod.
OK, I know what you’re thinking at this moment, and that is how you are going to know which fishing reel in the USA is best for your fishing rod. Don’t worry! In this article, I am going to discuss in detail all the important information that you need to know.
Types of Fishing Reels and Why Do We Need One?
As the name suggests, it is used for fishing and is attached to the end of the fishing rod. It helps in pulling and handling the fish properly, whether it is big or small. So, you need a smooth reel to get a better fishing experience.
Different Types of American Made Fishing Reels
It is important to equip your fishing rod with the right fishing reel. Every type of fishing reel has a different level of skill and function. So if you want to know about the different fishing reel types, then keep on reading.
1. Spincast: These are some of the easiest to use and are specifically designed for newbies. It has a cover that keeps all the essential parts protected. To use it, press the thumb button on the back and hold it down until the cast peeling line stops.
2. Baitcasting: This fishing reel is designed for the experienced angler. These are made for accuracy and are not easy to use. Use your thumb to apply pressure on the spool to keep it under control and have the best experience with it.
3. Spinning: It is one of the most popular fishing reels among anglers because of its superior open-face design. It is versatile and provides exceptional usability and accuracy.
Fishing Reels Made in USA
Furthermore, if you decide to go fishing, I recommend using fishing reels made in the USA. Yes, you read that right, so let’s discuss the reasons in detail below.
Why Choose Fishing Reels Made in the USA?
A right fishing reel is critical for a satisfying fishing experience. It needs to be durable and lightweight. Other reasons are mentioned below.
1. X-Ship Technology: It improves the durability of the specific gear. It eliminates friction and enhances casting performance. This allows it to last longer.
2. Ball Bearing: USA made reels have a greater number of ball bearings. It helps in reducing friction, creating ease of motion, and speed. In other words, It will improve the fishing reel’s use and effectiveness.
3. Dual Drag System: This American-made reel features the most recent dual drag system. When a fish pulls hard enough on the line, it minimizes friction. A knob on the top allows you to adjust the plates and helps in catching fish.
4. CNC Gear Technology: Modern CNC gear technology is used in USA reels, which increases durability, smoothness, and precision gearing.
I am not through yet, as I am going to further discuss the things to consider when you go out on the market to buy this product. It is to make sure that you make the right decision and not waste your money.
Important Things to Consider Before Buying Fishing Reels
When you are choosing a fishing reel, you need to consider the weight and capacity that will be perfect for the type of fish you are after. A conventional reel can hold more weight and capacity. A spinning reel is best for angling the gear when it comes into contact with a big fish. Furthermore, things to consider are:
1. Casting Rod: In this case, you need to identify whether you need short or long casts. It will help in determining the size of the fishing reel you need.
2. Fish Size: To get the right inshore spinning fishing reels made in USA, you first need to identify the size of the fish you are after.
3. Gear Ratio: Experts recommend choosing fishing reels with a higher gear ratio. It is going to reduce the effort level that you put in.
4. Body Type: Always choose a graphite body when fishing in salty waters, and an aluminum body for freshwater.
5. Body Parts: The best American made spinning reels are the ones that have fewer body parts. Why? As it is going to have fewer mechanical issues.
6. Weight: The lighter a spinning reel is, the greater the increased comfort level will be and the less wear and tear it will incur.
Wait, there’s more, and it’s getting better. Now I am going to discuss some leading companies who are considered pioneers in the manufacturing of fishing reels. So let’s start.
What Fishing Reels Are Made in the USA?
1. Zebco Bullet Spincast Fishing Reel
This product includes an anti-reverse system, an aluminum spool, a tough titanium-nitride bail wire, and a line roller. It is easy to use and highly efficient. See the Latest Price Here.
- Possess solid and smooth casting and reeling
- Drag is easy to adjust
- No vibration and it comes with an extra spool
- Durable and faster
- Reel handles get hot and slippery during summer.
ZEBCO Company Overview: It was established in 1932 in Oklahoma. They are considered the pioneers of spinning reels made in USA and have produced a wide range of quality reels and rods.
2. AMS Bowfishing Retriever Pro Combo Kit
It is one of the best reels made in USA. It is made from advanced technology, which makes it easier to use and offers better performance. These reels hold the line in a bottle and are quick at aiming fish. It comes with 25 yards of 200# test braided Dacron line. See the Latest Price Here.
- Easy to assemble and use
- Easy to adjust
- Faster and longer shots
- It does not have the proper wrenches to install or adjust
AMS Company Overview: The company is based in the USA and has been in the fishing industry for more than 40 years. They are known for manufacturing quality and long-lasting bow fishing products.
3. Cadence CS10 Spinning Reel
It is made with magnesium and carbon, which makes it lightweight. It has 10 ball bearings, 1 instant anti-reverse bearing, a drag system, an aluminum spool, a carbon fiber handle, and an oversized handle knob. See the Latest Price Here.
- Smooth functioning and light-weight
- Strong grip in hand
- Quality design and finishing
- Easily hold enough line
- The line gets tangled continuously
- The Spool plastic cover makes noises
Cadence Company Overview: It is known for producing high-quality and performance fishing reel products like reels, rods, combos, and spare parts. Their experienced team designs quality and durable products and has a broad and loyal customer base.
4. Socorro SW Fishing Reel
It is best used in saltwater. It is made with X-Ship technology that improves gear durability, reduces friction, and improves casting performance. See the Latest Price Here.
- Great performance
- Strong, stable, and comfortable reel
- Great price
- Great quality and price
- Significant design flaws
- The crank is not foldable
Shimano Company Overview: They have experience of over 80 years in producing innovative and quality products. They are dedicated to providing the latest and most durable reels, rods, combos, apparel, gear, and lures to their valuable customers.
5. Avet Lever Drag Conventional Reel
It is made with solid-grade aluminum and is tested for its durability and quality. See the Latest Price Here.
- Easy to cast
- Smooth reel and strong grip
- Durable and well-designed
- Competitively priced
- Small size reel
- The anti-reverse roller bearing is missing.
Avet Reel Company Overview: Avet Reel has industry experience of over 20 years. They have established their reputation as providing innovative and quality fishing reels in the USA.
Where Are Pflueger Reels Made?
Do you have an idea of where Pflueger reels are made? In 1916, the company manufactured its first fishing reel in Akron, Ohio. Later, in 1954, it introduced the Pflueger spinning reel and set the benchmark in the fishing reel industry.
Over the years, It has had a significant market share. But in 2001, Pflueger moved to China, and now reels are being made there because of the lower production costs.
Where Are Abu Garcia Reels Made?
Abu Garcia, originally known as AB Urfabriken, is a fishing reel manufacturing company founded in Svängsta, Sweden. However, currently, it is owned by Pure Fishing Corporation in the USA.
In the 1950s, it launched a line of fishing reels. Later on, in 1955, the company introduced its first spinning reel and the following cardinal series of spinning wheels in 1965. Some Abu Garcia reels models are manufactured in their original factory in Sweden while the rest are in Asian countries like Korea and China.
Where Are Lew’s Reels Made?
It is a USA based company that was introduced in 1949 and is known for producing quality fishing reel products. In 2019, it was acquired by BDT Capital Partners. So today’s production is mostly in North Korea and China, and some of the Lew reels are made in the USA.
Where Are Quantum Reels Made?
It was founded in 1984 in Tulsa, Okla. They are popular for producing quality reels for both saltwater and freshwater fishing. But today, these products are made in China to reduce production cost.
The different types of fishing reels have provided us with a convenient way to have a great fishing experience. With the detailed information mentioned above, you won’t find any difficulty in finding the best and right fishing reel. If you want to get one for yourself, check the above-mentioned American brands producing reels and buy the one you like.